Nigit'stil Norbert is a photo-based artist originally from Yellowknife, NT, now living out of Toronto, ON. She has exhibited in Canada and the US, and in June 2012 completed her BFA in Photography at the Ontario College of Art & Design University in Toronto, ON.
Norbert is interested in making new traditions, where the old meets the new and contemporary. Her most recent explorations have involved stop-motion photography, unique beaded photographs, and installation-based works. Norbert's art practice focuses on the historical and contemporary representation of Aboriginal peoples in Canada.
Along with her extensive research regimen her art explores ideas of representation and misrepresentation, the role of the museum in the Aboriginal art scene, and stereotypes. By employing such practices she leads her viewer to fresh and new insights into the world of the young contemporary Aboriginal art scene that is exploding across our great country.
Within her art she likes to speak simply, honestly and without fear.
2012 BFA in Photography, Ontario College of Art & Design University, Toronto, ON
2009 Photography Image Arts, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
2003 Yukon College, Whitehorse, YT
- Decolonize Me, Thunder Bay Art Gallery, Thunder Bay, ON
- Interrupting the Present (working title), curator: Betty Julian, Prefix Institute of Contemporary Art, Toronto, ON
- inVisibility: Indigenous in the City, John B. Aird Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Plastic People, curator: Brandon Marsh, The Gallery on 47th, Yellowknife, NT
- Decolonize Me, Windsor Art Gallery, Windsor, ON
- Decolonize Me, Foreman Art Gallery, Lennoxville, QC
- imagineNATIVE Film Festival, curators: Julie Nagam & Suzanne Morissette, Toronto, ON
- Decolonize Me, The Robert McLaughlin Art Gallery, Oshawa, ON
- Contact Photography Festival, Robert Kananaj Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Decolonize Me, curator: Heather Igloliorte, Ottawa Art Gallery, Ottawa, ON
- Counting Coup, curator: Ryan Rice, Museum of Contemporary Native Art, Sante Fe, NM
- Ontario College of Art & Design University 2011 Retrospective, Toronto, ON
- The Story of Stuff, curator: Cole Swanson, Mississauga Living Arts Centre, Mississauga, ON
- Ryerson Presidential Gallery Exhibition, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON
- Creative Type II, 52 McCaul Gallery, Toronto, ON
- Maximum Exposure, curator: Jennifer Park, Lennox Contemporary Gallery, Toronto, ON
Lectures & Artist Talks
-Guest Speaker, Living in 2 worlds: Experiences of Urban Aboriginal Peoples, The University of Guelph, Guelph, ON
- Guest Speaker, The Aboriginal Curatorial Collective Colloquium, Ontario College of Art & Design University, Toronto, ON
- Juror, Emerging Visual Artists program, Ontario Arts Council
- imagineNATIVE Film Festival commission, Toronto, ON
- 'Counting Coup, Museum of Contemporary Native Arts', Center of the Institute of American Indian Arts
- 'Ahzhekewada Aboriginal Curatorial Conference', Aboriginal Curatorial Collective
- Decolonize Me catalogue, Ottawa Art Gallery, Ottawa, ON
- 'Pick Up Sticks', written by Nigitstil Norbert, Summer 2012 issue of West Coast Line, Simon Fraser University, BC.
- 'Aren't We All In The West?' by Tony Martins, 2011 - www.getguerilla.com/index.php/gallery-menu-item/360-arent-we-all-in-the-west
- 'Decolonizing Through Art' by Brendan McConnell, 2011 - www.charlatan.ca/content/decolonizing-through-art
- 'Decolonize Me' Akimbo, 2011
- 'Takao Tanabe, Sonny Assu and other, now at the Ottawa Art Gallery' 2011 - www.ottawacitizen.com
- 'Artful Blogger: Norman Takeuchi reclaims ancestry with new exhibit On the Edges of Noh' by Paul Gessell, 2011 - ottawamagazine.com/.../artful-blogger